The dragon fruit, also known as the pitaya or pitahaya, is the fruit of a tropical cactus and a relative of the kiwi. Dragon fruit was originated in Mexico where it spread to Central America and then to Europe by Spanish explorers and to the far East by the Dutch.
Today, dragon fruit can be found throughout Southeast Asia, as well as Israel, Australia, Hawaii, California and Florida. You can buy dragon fruits from your local food store, farmer’s market or Asian market. You can also order it online and shipped fresh from amazon or other major online retailers.
The benefits of Dragon Fruits
- Dragon fruit is low in fat and high in fibre, also contains a rich resource of vitamin C, as well as the B-complex compounds niacin, thiamin and B-12.
- It helps to control blood glucose levels for those suffering from type II diabetes and further helps maintain insulin levels in those afflicted with type I diabetes.
- Dragon fruit contains as much carotene as a carrot, which assists in improving vision and fighting age-related degenerative diseases of the eyes.
- Dragon fruit is also low in calories and very filling, which is beneficial to those who are dieting.
- Healthy carbohydrates and nutrients that boost energy and assist in weight loss.
- Further, dragon fruit is especially low in sugar and high in antioxidants that help rid the body of harmful free radicals.
- The high content of Phyto albumins in dragon fruit also acts as antioxidants that assist in eradicating the body of heavy metals.
- The high calcium content of dragon fruit helps improve nerve function and strengthens bones and teeth.
Dragon Fruit Juice Recipe
Make dragon fruit juice in 5 minutes with our simple and easy to follow recipe. As a side bonus, also read the health benefits of dragon fruits.
- PREP TIME: 5 mins
- TOTAL TIME: 5 mins
- COURSE: Drinks
- CUISINE: Continental
- SERVINGS: 12
- CALORIES: 160 kcal
- 2 Dragon Fruits
- 1 tbsp Honey For extra sweetness
- 1 Fresh Lemon Wedge Optional
- 1 Apple Optional
- 1 Cucumber Optional
- Cut the dragon fruit into two pieces.
- Peel away the outer skin (use a spoon if needed).
- Cut dragon fruit pieces into smaller cubes.
- Place the cubes into your juicer.
- Blend until you see smooth juice and then serve the juice in a glass.
- Use honey or sugar to increase the sweetness before you start the blender.
- You can also add apple, cucumber and fresh lemon wedge for extra flavor and nutrition.