The dragon fruit, also known as the pitaya or pitahaya, is the fruit of a tropical cactus and a relative of the kiwi. Dragon fruit was originated in Mexico where it spread to Central America and then to Europe by Spanish explorers and to the far East by the Dutch.
Today, dragon fruit can be found throughout Southeast Asia, as well as Israel, Australia, Hawaii, California and Florida. You can buy dragon fruits from your local food store, farmer’s market or Asian market. You can also order it online and shipped fresh from amazon or other major online retailers.
The benefits of Dragon Fruits
- Dragon fruit is low in fat and high in fibre, also contains a rich resource of vitamin C, as well as the B-complex compounds niacin, thiamin and B-12.
- It helps to control blood glucose levels for those suffering from type II diabetes and further helps maintain insulin levels in those afflicted with type I diabetes.
- Dragon fruit contains as much carotene as a carrot, which assists in improving vision and fighting age-related degenerative diseases of the eyes.
- Dragon fruit is also low in calories and very filling, which is beneficial to those who are dieting.
- Healthy carbohydrates and nutrients that boost energy and assist in weight loss.
- Further, dragon fruit is especially low in sugar and high in antioxidants that help rid the body of harmful free radicals.
- The high content of Phyto albumins in dragon fruit also acts as antioxidants that assist in eradicating the body of heavy metals.
- The high calcium content of dragon fruit helps improve nerve function and strengthens bones and teeth.